Thursday, December 4, 2014

The New Addition to My Kitchen!



Hello, everyone! I am getting so excited for Christmas! And part of getting ready for Christmas usually equates to my needing to go crazy decorating the house and refinishing furniture that I've been putting off for too long. I bought this potato cupboard from a family member a long time ago but never got around to refinishing it. I also couldn't decide how I wanted it to look. At first, I had envisioned painting it black and distressing it for a more primitive, rustic look. However, I really wanted the black hinges to stand out more because they give it so much character. After redoing my coffee table (you can see it in my last post), I thought I'd apply the same technique to the whole cupboard. 

 Originally, the potato cupboard was stained a golden/honey colour but I wanted to change it up and add to it's character. After sanding it down, I painted it with a basic white paint.


Just like with the coffee table, the white paint was very bright, so I sanded the wood down to show the wood grain beneath. I actually tested this new technique on the potato cupboard before I did the coffee table. I was really happy with the results!


After sanding, I dipped an old rag in Minwax's Dark Walnut Woodstain and rubbed it into the wood, to make the paint more grey coloured and to make the wood grain stand out. After that, I used a clean rag to wipe the excess stain off. I rubbed quite a lot because I didn't want the paint to look too dark.


And finally, after all of it had dried, and I put a clear coat of Varathane on to protect it, I put the hinges back on! They really stand out against the weathered grey wood! To make the wooden knobs match the rest of the cupboard, I lightly sanded them down and then dunked them in the Dark Walnut wood stain and let them dry.





 My dog, Rebel, was very interested in my phone, he managed to sneak into one of the photos I was taking! 




 And there we have it! A great piece to add to my kitchen that was super easy to do! Hope you all enjoyed today's post! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment