Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hello everyone! It has been way too long since my last post! I've recently worked on a few projects that I'm quite excited about! I found this hutch at a local thrift store. It was a big undertaking, but with a lot of work, I was able to refinish it and give it a completely new look. By updating the drawer pulls and handles, along with using some new techniques I learned, I think it turned out pretty great!

When I first bought this beauty, two things came to mind: 1) It's huge and 2) It's perfect!
I was drawn to the unique upper cabinets and all of the storage space this hutch provides. As you can see, the handles and knobs were very out dated. To get started, I decided to try something new that could help with the sanding process: wood stripping solution. I used Circa 1890 wood stripper and it worked excellently, getting right through the tough varnish and wood stain. This made the sanding process much quicker and way easier. It was well worth the $10!

 After sanding came staining. As you probably can tell from my previous posts, I have a lot of black paint. My decision to use the black paint gave me the idea to use a red wood stain that would look very defined when I distressed the paint over the top. I chose to used Minwax's Red Chestnut and was very happy with the results. 



       Here we have the doors and windows, which I taped off for protection from the stain.
 
 I loved using the black paint to give the hutch a more classic look that would fit with any home. The red chestnut wood stain show beautifully through the distressed paint!


 And after finding some knobs and handles, the hutch has a more updated, modern feel to it.



                     This was such a fun project and I am so happy with the results. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment