Monday, September 29, 2014

Refinishing a Pedestal Table

Hello again! It's been an interesting couple of weeks with quite a few projects! This pedestal table came with three chairs with some light wear and tear. I had to do a lot of research for this table to find out what the best protective coating would be so that hot plates, spilled drinks and other mishaps won't wreck the finish. After a lot of research and comparison, I decided that using an oil based polyurethane would work best. Oil based polyurethanes work better for protecting against heat (in this case, hot plates of food) than water based does. After applying wood stripping solution, I only had to sand for a short period of time before the wood was bare and ready to go.


 After sanding, I decided to paint the chairs and bottom of the table black. I liked the look for the chairs but decided to use white with the black showing through for a more vintage look.
 I stained the top with Minwax's Dark Walnut stain. Since both the top and the bottom of the table were so dark, I wanted to paint the bottom white to balance it out.


 After applying a few coats of oil based polyurethane, I was very impressed with the results. The wood felt smooth to touch and well protected.







Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment