Sunday, September 7, 2014

Working with Wood Stripping Solution

Hey everyone, today I thought I'd post one of my most recent projects, a night stand. After finding it at a thrift store, I had no idea that the paint was going to be so tough to sand off. I ended up using Circa 1890 wood stripping solution along with a paint and varnish scraper. Using a synthetic brush, I applied the solution to the night stand and left it for about 20 minutes to dry. It immediately caused the paint to bubble up and peel off from the surface. To get the difficult chunks of paint off the night stand, I used the scraper.


This is what the night stand looked like after scraping. If you try scraping, be careful not to apply too much pressure, as it can damage the wood. 

After sanding the rest of the night stand, first with 80 grit and then with 120 grit sand paper, I decided to go for the same brushed look that I used for the desk in my previous post.





This project was a lot more than I had bargained for, since the paint was so difficult to sand off. After using wood stripping solution, it sped up the process and this night stand ended up looking great!

No comments:

Post a Comment