Thursday, October 29, 2015

Dining Table Redo



Hey, Everyone! I just recently had one of the most frustrating projects yet! Thankfully, it turned out great, but it took a lot of patience getting there. This table is around thirty years old and long overdue for a makeover. The red stain on it was very difficult to remove, so I used a lot of wood stripping solution and spent a lot of time using the sander to get the wood bare and ready for my home made vinegar wood stain solution. 





 This table's bright red stain needed to go, so our first step was to apply wood stripping solution. In the photo below, you can see how the solution causes the stain to bubble up. 




After scraping off the stain and using a sander, the table's wood was finally bare. In my previous post, I mentioned my latest attempt at making my own wood stain using steel wool and vinegar. I decided to use the same solution to stain the top of this table. First, I did three coats of black tea over the wood for the stain to mix with the tannins and make a beautiful grey colour, in the photo below. 


 After the stain was dry, I used an oil based polyurethane to protect the table top. I wanted to use a very strong poly to protect from scratches and hot plates of food. The only down side to using the poly was that it made the stain look much darker than I had hoped for. 


And after a few coats of polyurethane, it was time to tackle the legs. I used acrylic white paint, some that I had mixed together myself to create the right shade I wanted. This made the table look a lot more elegant! 






And there we have it! A lovely table that's been given a new look to add to the collection! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment