Friday, July 22, 2016

Ikea Coffee Table Gets Refinished


Hey, Everyone! I'm super excited to share my latest project! This Ikea Markor coffee table was given to me by a good friend of mine. I've decided that I like it so much, I'm going to keep it and sell my current coffee table! After a bit of debate, I decided to sand the top down and stain it in Minwax's Special Walnut, and to paint the base in Succulent, a chalk paint by Spruce Collective. 



In the two photos below, this is what the Markor table looks like brand new. I love the drawers with the cute pocket handles! 



After sanding down the top, I discovered that there's tons of wood grain and knots in the wood! I absolutely loved it and wanted to make sure that the stain I chose would show them off well. Minwax's Special Walnut is a great colour to stain it because it's not so dark that the variations in the wood won't show. 




After the staining the top, I did two coats of paint on the base. The colour is so perfect and not too bright. 




In the photo below, you can see how there were some issues with the table top. After putting on a satin, oil-based clear coat of Polyurethane, it didn't adhere properly in certain parts. Because it didn't adhere properly, I waited for it to dry and sanded down the areas and restrained it. After reapplying the poly, it adhered properly. 













I'm very thankful to have this coffee table! It's nice solid wood and will be such a great addition to our home. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment