Monday, April 6, 2015

The Wagon Wheel Chair (I Don't Know What To Call It!)


         Hey, Everyone! Since I've been on a roll by getting so many projects done lately, today I'll show you this lovely chair! As stated in the title, I actually don't know what to call this unique chair, so for now I will call it the Wagon Wheel Chair. Since it seems to be more of an outdoor piece of furniture, all of the products I used on it were made to withstand the weather. When I first got this chair, I had no idea what to do with it. I only knew that I really liked it! It was quite worn in some areas, especially on the seat, but I wanted to keep that concept going, while brightening it up a bit.




 The chair was held together by six bolts, which easily came apart with a ratchet for easier painting. 
 After days of brainstorming, I decided on a heritage blue shade by Benjamin Moore called Newburypoint Blue. I went with a matte finish. 
 As I started painting, I realized I liked staggering the boards with the stain and paint, but the stained boards were quite worn in. I ended up rubbing some Minwax Dark Walnut stain in some of the areas where the wood was bare. 
 After one coat of the paint and two coats of Outdoor Varathane, the chair is ready for any weather! 

 This photo shows how the wood stain filled in the bare wood that was worn a bit too far. 






Overall, this was quite a fun project, as I've never played around with outdoor paints and Varathane. I also enjoyed trying a new colour to help this unique chair stand out even more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment