Sunday, January 17, 2016

Family Signs


Hey, Everyone! It's been awhile since my last post, with the holidays there was so much going on that I didn't get to post as much as I was hoping to. I thought I'd show you another sign that I made, one I gave to a relative for Christmas. It is so nice having something personal to hang up in your home! To make the base for the sign, I used a construction grade wood glue and glued three pieces of wood together. I used tie downs, strapped together to act as a clamp to hold the wood together. Next, I sanded the wood and wiped it down with a damp cloth to get any of the dust off. 


I've recently discovered another wood stain colour that I absolutely love - Minwax's Special Walnut. I decided to use it to bring out the variations in the wood, the more rustic it looks, the better! 


Next came the challenging part - stencilling. I've done a fair bit of stencilling before, so I knew how to space out the lettering. I figured white lettering would stand out more against the stain than using black. I used Martha Stewart's stencil letter set, you can find it easily at most craft stores. After arranging the letters, it's best to tape them down with painter's tape. 


After the lettering dried, I applied a few coats of outdoor polyurethane to protect the wood. Since I wasn't sure if the recipients would want hang it up outside, I made sure they would have the option. 




I was really happy with how this project turned out! It was an easy, fun gift that has so much meaning. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment